FAQ FAQ Search Search
Log me on automatically each visit    
Register Register Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Disk Inventory X Support Forum : Forum Index » Bugs and Odd Behaviour

Reply to topic
"temporary files" deletion problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich4468

PostPosted: Sat 29 Apr, 2006 22:09    Post subject: "temporary files" deletion problem Reply with quote

First off, I love the program... i have a lot of audio on my machine and this makes it easy to see where I may have forgotten to delete some stuff I'm not using any more.

Here's my problem:

I was trying to figure out what was taking up 80 GB on my machine since the music I had didn't seem nearly enough to be that. So in Disk Inventory X I see this directory called "temporary files" that contained Sound Studio scratch files to the tune of 28 GB or so. So I just moved everything from that directory to the trash using the right click menu and choosing that option. I got the "poof" animation but the items didn't show up in my trash folder.

And here's where it really gets weird. The Get Info for that drive still shows 79.1 GB used. However, Disk Inventory X only shows 50.8 GB used. I've rebooted to see if that did it and I ran the daily, weekly & monthly cron maintenance jobs from the command line to see if that would find the files.

Is there any way I can find these files and delete them permanently? Should I not delete temporary files from D.I.X.? I've left my machine on overnight many times over the last few months so I'm sure the maintenance jobs have run but it seems they didn't clear up this directory.

Thanks for the help.
Tjark Derlien

PostPosted: Fri 05 May, 2006 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the poof animation is shown, DIX thinks that it was able to move the file to the trash (it uses a system function for this).
When you refresh the folder where the file resided in (use "Refresh" in the context menu for that folder), does the "deleted" file appear again in DIX?

It should be possible to delete temporary files with DIX, if they are no longer in use by any application. Where does the folder "temporary files" reside?

- Tjark
Reply to topic    Disk Inventory X Support Forum : Forum Index » Bugs and Odd Behaviour All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: