FAQ FAQ Search Search
Log me on automatically each visit    
Register Register Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Disk Inventory X Support Forum : Forum Index » Feature Requests

Reply to topic
drive/share size updating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisrosa

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2005 0:34    Post subject: drive/share size updating Reply with quote

I like your utility...very nice. However one thing that would be very useful for me is live (or almost live) updating of local disks and network share sizes. Possible? Too much overhead? I suppose a variable refresh rate would be key to limiting overhead. As I'm sure you know, the Finder is very unreliable about updating free/used space, so I'm trying to find a standalone utility that does it. Thanks...
Tjark Derlien

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be indeed a nice feature.
But I have some concerns about system performance impact:
Mac OS X provides a notification service for file and folder changes. Applications can register for individual folders to be notified when they change.
As Disk Inventory X shows all files and folder of a the opened volume or folder simultaneously it would has to register for ALL subfolders. It needs to be evaluate if this would have a too negative impact on overall system performance (despite the potential frequent updates of Disk Inventory X's internal data structures and the tree map).

As you suggested, an automatic update after a certain duration of time would be a solution although Disk Inventory X would then need to update all folders - even the unchanged ones.

-Tjark
Reply to topic    Disk Inventory X Support Forum : Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: