FAQ FAQ Search Search
Log me on automatically each visit    
Register Register Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Disk Inventory X Support Forum : Forum Index » Feature Requests

Reply to topic
folder/file info in treemap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vman
PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 22:10    Post subject: folder/file info in treemap Reply with quote

Hi,
first of all: great that you're developing this. I've been looking for some time for something like this. I've seen 'Spacemonger' on windows a couple of times and think it's really useful.

What I think your app really misses is file/folder information displayed in the treemap picture.(or did I miss something ?)
I think foremost it should be a quick overview on which files take up which amount of relative space on the disk. Now you have to roll over or click on each block to see what file it represents. So filenames for the bigger blocks and encapsulating folders names would be good.

I've been using 'TDKU', a phyton script which does just this, only it's very slow, and it's a bit shabby to control in X11.

Maybe if you don't know these app's I mentioned you'd like to check them out.
cheers

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, the python thing is called TKDU
http://unpythonic.net/jeff/tkdu/
Tjark Derlien

PostPosted: Sat 25 Dec, 2004 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, showing the names of files and folders is a nice feature.
I implemented this once in testing code, but didn't ever elaborated it.
This feature may not be sensible if the treemap is drawn using a cushion effect (like DIX does) as especially the name of folders takes some space and drawing the cushion effect only in the remaining area might let the user misinterpret the file's/folder's size.
It might be useful the offer several drawing methods.
vman
PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well couldn't the file/foldernames be somehow layered on the cushion picture? Just like it is now, only add a small textline in the topleft corner of the cubes/cushions.

Alternative drawing modes would also be a very good idea I think. Although the cushion-effect looks nice, I'd rather have something giving a clear and quick overview of what is on my disk, rendering as fast as possible.
anyway, keep it up.
cheers
Tjark Derlien

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb, 2005 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

My test implementation does that. It draws the name in the same color as the cushion, but a little bit darker (so it is readable - looks nice).
With this method you're not able to show folder names, only file names. As you can see by the sceen shot on the web site you posted, files are titled in a way that there is some space left on the top for the folder name.
This isn't a problem, but as I stated before, this would be a nice feature for a different drawing method than the cushion effect.
Reply to topic    Disk Inventory X Support Forum : Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: