FAQ FAQ Search Search
Log me on automatically each visit    
Register Register Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Disk Inventory X Support Forum : Forum Index » Feature Requests

Reply to topic
Ideas - Authentication, window space, etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aposter
PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 4:17    Post subject: Ideas - Authentication, window space, etc Reply with quote

Trying to delete some unnecessary files ("/developer/examples/java/qtjava/Depreciated_131_Demos.tar", access privs not high enough. A way to authenticate would be handy....perhaps when DI-X is unable to delete, tell the finder to move it to the trash, then the finder itself will ask.

I don't use the statistics usually, though they are interesting. Perhaps a pref to default it closed. The info at the bottom of the window could go in the toolbar, or the toolbar could go at the bottom of the window, to save screen space (I use DI-X maximized). The left side could remember the size it's set to, since the more space the more detailed the file map is.

Perhaps a way to open files directly, I see JPEG and MOV files I don't recognize (try on your OS X install, see whats in the system), maybe just the "safe" types of files, nonexecutables.

Graph by file type only? Select Zip files in the statistics, only the zip files appear? Difficult I'm sure, but probably useful.

"Get Info..." in the rightclick contextual menu, like the finder. Doing the same as "Show Information" in the "Window" menu. I keep that closed, sometimes it's handy

Just some ideas, if you run out of stuff to do ;-D
Tjark Derlien

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Trying to delete some unnecessary files..

Yes, I'm working on a feature so that DIX is able to look into all folders and can delete files that the user hasn't the right to normally.
But this is quite tricky and complicated to implement (DIX has to spawn a special helper tool in a special way so this tool can run with root privileges and then delegate operations needing these privileges).

Quote:
I don't use the statistics usually

Okay, maybe DIX will save the proportions between the left and right side and whether the drawer is open or closed and use this information for newly created windows.
I agree that the information at the bottom needs quite some space, but it should appear somewhere...

Quote:
Perhaps a way to open files directly

Quite easy to implement, but then users would ask to implement a "Open with.." command.
Maybe later. In the meantime please use "Reveal in Finder" and then open it via the Finder.

Quote:
Graph by file type only?

I think to add another drawer at the bottom where the user can show all files of a specific type. The list would have 3 columns: file name, size and path. The file kind would be selected through the file kind statistics drawer (e.g. context menu)
What do you think?

Quote:
"Get Info..." in the rightclick contextual menu

DIX uses its "get info" window different than the Finder. The Finder opens a new "get info" window for every file the user selects "get info" - DIX shows only one window and shows the information about the currently selected file in this window.
So on one hand you just need to open it once, but on the other hand you can't compare two files using this window.
You can put the "show information" command in the toolbar for quick access.

Quote:
Just some ideas, if you run out of stuff to do ;-D

Thanks that you care Wink

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2004 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But this is quite tricky and complicated to implement (DIX has to spawn a special helper tool in a special way so this tool can run with root privileges and then delegate operations needing these privileges).

Oh, don't worry about it then. I was just going through the system drive, there's about a billion files that make up OS X. It's not generally what I use DIX for.

Quote:
maybe DIX will save the proportions between the left and right side and whether the drawer is open or closed and use this information for newly created windows.
I agree that the information at the bottom needs quite some space, but it should appear somewhere...

Thanks, it's the first thing I do when a new window opens, close the stats/maximize the window/make the left side smaller.

Quote:
Quite easy to implement, but then users would ask to implement a "Open with.." command.

Ah, alright...it's true, I never did clean up my creator/type codes when switching to OS X...some video files actually open in Player Pro still ;-). Like with the authentication thing, are you sure there isn't a way to pass the command to the finder, "open this file"? ISTR it's possible with applescript, DIX wouldn't need to handle creator codes and authentication.

Quote:
I think to add another drawer at the bottom where the user can show all files of a specific type. The list would have 3 columns: file name, size and path. The file kind would be selected through the file kind statistics drawer (e.g. context menu)
What do you think?

I think it would help a lot, I have many files of the same type that are everywhere on the disk, there isn't really a way to compare these filesizes anywhere else, other than the finder's search tool or in terminal.app, both being much more difficult.

Quote:
DIX uses its "get info" window different than the Finder. The Finder opens a new "get info" window for every file the user selects "get info"

Hmm, true, I prefer the "Info Inspector" from earlier OS X versions, pretty much what you have. I was just used to selecting it from the contextual menu as well, noticed it when using DIX :)

Trying to think of other things.....the bars that display "kind"/"size"/"files", they don't re-sort the items like the finder does, not sure if that's planned.

Quote:
Thanks that you care

No problem, DIX is a very useful utility for me :). Thanks for it ;)
Reply to topic    Disk Inventory X Support Forum : Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: